WHAT YOUR CHILD NEEDS NEXT:
My dear parents,
You’ve decided to separate and will be living in separate houses now. I’m very young and there’s a lot of things I don’t understand yet.
It would help me so much if you let me:-
- Love and like both of you.
- Enjoy time with both of you separately.
- See you coming together to my school concerts, activities and parent evenings.
- Move without stress from one house to another.
- Be your child. I’m not your confidante, friend or therapist.
It upsets me and makes me feel bad if you:-
- Say horrible things about the other to me.
- Talk to me about money.
- Ask me loads of questions about my time with mum/dad.
- Argue in front of me or when I can hear.
- Ask me to keep secrets or to lie.
- Interrogate me about new partners.
- Ask me to make decisions that I’m too young to make.
Please free me from:-
- Passing on messages between you.
- Thinking I have to protect you. It’s your job to protect me.
- Feeling guilty. Adult decisions are your responsibility not mine.
- Being a referee or a mediator.
With love from,